GuruAnn Blog

Hume City Councillor, this site is authorised by Fran Wallace, 10 Gibbons St Sunbury

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Rotten Bastards!

Last night, I was having a little snooze when I was awoken to the news that there had been some bomb blasts in Bali. My stomach turned, I then went in seek of further news, and thankfully CNN and the BBC were able to keep me informed until the early hours of the morning.

The restaurant in Kuta Square that was targetted was Raja's this is not a budget restaurant, one of the features of this place is the shower of water that is sprayed as you walk through the passageways, it's a place that we would have walked through at least a dozen times on our last trip.

The other bombs were placed on the beach at Jimbaran Bay. For those not familiar with the area, Jimbaran Bay is basically a line of restaurants occupying the beachfront. Each restaurant has an indoor area then outside on the sand they place tables and chairs each evening, so that diners can enjoy the sunset. They sell the food by the kilo and I have never really liked the place, the biggest reason is that most of the establishments have dodgy scales and the food is usually overpriced.

Two bombs went off there, both apparently filled with ball bearings, a cowards act that is.

I have been to Bali 19 times or so over the last 20 years, I have been this year and last year. Would I go again, I don't know now. I never felt in danger in my last 2 trips, as I always thought that the terrorists would attack places that had high occupancy, not just small restaurants, now that is not the case.

At least unlike the last 2 years I don't have immediate plans for a trip to Bali, so I don't have to ponder the question just yet. I feel in my heart I will go back as I don't want to be defeated by these terrorists and the people of Bali don't deserve this happening to them.