GuruAnn Blog

Hume City Councillor, this site is authorised by Fran Wallace, 10 Gibbons St Sunbury

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Where were you!

30 years ago on the 11th November, hard to believe it was 30 years ago, makes me feel old. I can still remember vividly sitting in my Grade 2 classroom and a teacher ran in to tell my teacher that Whitlam had been sacked. As a child growing up in a household that was very politically aware this shocked me, but most of the other kids didn't know what it all meant.

So off I trotted home to a distraught mother who was watching every news report and listening to the radio at the same time, this was 1975, no color TV and very delayed TV coverage. Being a kid, I did what kids do and went out playing. What better way to pass the time but to climb fences, and fall off them. In I went with a very painful arm knowing that I had done something a bit serious, so off we trot to the local hospital.

Mum wasn't all that impressed with me, but at least they had a TV at the hospital and due to the big news of the day the hospital was very quiet. I was seen pretty quickly and a sprain rather than a break was diagnosed.

As well as 11/11 being Rememberence Day, and I acknowledge that the 11/11 should be firstly though of by remembering the fallen, I will always have quirky memories of the 11/11/75.

I regard Gough Whitlam as a great Australian who in his term brought about great social change, the National Health Care System (Medicare), free University courses (which has now gone), Land Rights amongst a few of the great things he did. I still remember being at Drumoyne Town Hall in 1972 when I was 7 in an "It Time" T Shirt, Margaret Whitlam was so nice to me.

So Lest we Forget, and lets hope what happened in 1975 is never allowed to happen again.